Paisley

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

New York - Work Hard, Play Harder



New York Round 2
Work Hard, Play Hard

I never dreamed I would get to go back to New York only two months after my first trip! The second visit was even better than the first. Even though both trips were for work, we worked until six with WORK HARD/PLAY HARDER mindsets.

Day 1
After checking in to the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas, Emily and I went to dinner at Pazza Notte. It is an Italian restaurant and we both ordered fish (salmon and sea bass). Our entrees were delicious and the restaurant’s location is very convenient since it is only a block away from the Hilton. 



 After dinner we went to Times Square and then did some shopping on the Avenue of Americas.

 Ferris Wheel in Toys R Us on Times Square


Day 2
Day two got started with Starbucks. I’d be curious to find out how many Starbucks locations are in New York. We took a break from work and had lunch at Mangia on 57th Street. With lots of pastries and fresh foods, it makes for a great lunch break on a work day. When I think of Gossip Girl, I think of 3 things – New York, macaroons, and fashion. 


Tuesday night was Emily’s pick and she requested a French restaurant. We got reservations at Brasserie on 53rd. 

 We walked through Rockefeller Plaza and this time the ice skating rink was ready and Christmas decorations were already going up!

 

Day 3
Day three I woke up to another beautiful day in New York!!

 view from my room
 It was back to Starbucks, work, Pret for lunch, and TAO my FAVORITE for dinner. TAO is absolutely amazing. We had reservations at 7:30 but apparently the reservations only get you in the door. After a few drinks at the bar our table was ready. We ordered a variety of sushi (the smoked salmon was hands down the best) and saved room for the MASSIVE fortune cookie for dessert. We asked for three fortunes in our cookie. The fortune cookies are filled with white and dark chocolate mousse and are seriously the size of a dinner plate. 

some of the decor inside of TAO 


 our fortune cookie


Day three was also Wednesday, November 14th which meant it was the day the Christmas tree arrived in Rockefeller Plaza!! This year’s tree weighs 10 tons and although it won’t be lit until the 28th, it was amazing to see in person (scaffolding and all).
  80 feet tall, Norway spruce

watching as they were setting up the Today Show set for Hoda and Kathie Lee

Day 4
After work we grabbed a quick dinner at City Lobster & Steak before entering Radio City Music Hall to see the Christmas Spectacular with The Rockettes! Are there little girls that do not grow up dreaming of being a Rockette? I highly doubt it.
The show was even better than I could have imagined. This is the 85th year and as part of the show some of The Rockettes' outfits from over the years were incorporated. Not sure how they set off fireworks inside, but I promise even fireworks were included in the show. My favorite parts were the toy soldiers falling in slow motion and the WHOLE MANGER SCENE! Too often people take anything related to the Bible out of Christmas shows to prevent offending anyone. I thought so much more of the show after the manger scene with all the wise men and real animals. 
 I could go on and on about how amazing the show was and the inside of Radio City Music Hall, but I do not want to ruin it for anyone. It is something everyone should experience firsthand. I would love to go back and it was the perfect way to end our last night in The Big Apple!
 I do love a good chandelier.

My pictures from the actual show did not turn out very well, but I could not stop watching the show long enough to figure out my camera settings.


Day 5
Day five was all work and travel. I’ll end this post with our view at work. We really have a great view from our Birmingham Office, but it does not compete with the New York Office’s view of Central Park.

Until next time New York...



1 comment: