Paisley

Monday, June 16, 2014

Happy 1st Birthday to Our House



Happy 1st Birthday to Our House

We officially closed on our house on June 11, 2013. Our first year in our home has gone by quickly with no major damage. We did have one small bleach cleaner incident on our dark wood floors, but we fully recovered. What better way to celebrate your home’s first birthday than with a cookie cake? New life lesson learned: cast iron skillets rust and ruin in the dishwasher. 

The first couple of months after moving in we bought so many things for our home. Lately, I feel like I have neglected our house and haven’t bought anything new. So in the last week, we’ve redone Chad’s middle school desk and a dining room chair from my great-aunt’s, purchased a new door hanger, and a new sign for the kitchen.
Our new sign hanging in our kitchen



and now for a close up
 



 
I’ve never recovered a dining room chair, but my mom has done all of hers and said it is super easy. My great-aunt’s chair was at least 50 years old so we replaced the fabric and the actual seat cushion. We used Amy Howard’s chalk paint to paint the desk and chair an off white color. I am pleased with our results! My paint speed isn’t the best. I painted the chair in the same time Chad painted the entire desk.
 
the BEFORE




and the AFTER


While we were at my great-aunt’s picking up a dining room chair, we also grabbed an old rocking chair. We will only be polishing the chair. We have no way of knowing how old the chair is, but if my great-aunt was alive today she would be 101. The chair could have belonged to her mom and easily be over 100 years old. It is now in the guest bedroom where our desk used to be and our desk is now in our master bedroom. 

Moving furniture around and buying or redoing old pieces is exciting to me and I can’t wait to see what changes will be made in the next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment